In this article, you will see how to create brand new assets through the Asset Importer process in Loc8 without having to create them one by one manually via the Asset Inspector.
- Two ways of creating assets in Loc8
- What you'll need before you begin creating assets
- How to obtain the CSV used for Asset Import
- Simplifying the CSV
- Importing the filled-in CSV
NOTE 1 : If you are looking for information on how to update existing assets using the Asset Import, please see Update Existing Assets using Asset Import.
NOTE 2: The Asset Import and Customer Import are two separate processes that implement importing through different CSVs. These CSVs cannot be used interchangeably.If you want to update or create new customers, please see Import Customers.
Two ways of creating new assets in Loc8
- Manually filling in the details of the new assets in the Asset Inspector: The first approach is convenient when you have only one or a few assets to be created. It may not be an ideal solution when you need to create large number of assets with different values against different fields.
- Importing a formatted CSV for bulk creation of multiple assets: The second approach is implemented when you want to create a large number of assets with speed and accuracy. The data provided in the CSV results in creation of new assets by the Loc8 system, where this new asset strictly conforms to the hierarchy as indicated by the CSV and the values in the CSV columns appear in their corresponding fields.
NOTE: The Asset Import process is limited to Assets only. It does not allow you to create Sites, though you can create new assets under a Site. To specifically create Sites, please get in touch with the Loc8 Support Team.
What you will need before you begin creating assets
- (Mandatory) You must have the Asset IDs of the parent assets under which the new assets will be created. This is identified as Parent:ID in the CSV. Being a unique identifier, it helps to eliminate the chances of any other parent asset getting accidentally associated with the new asset.
- (Mandatory) You will also need the Asset Types (previously referred to as Class Name) for both the parent asset and the new asset being created. They are identified as Parent Class:Name and Class:Name. Basically, you will already have the required asset types ready under Settings -> Asset Types beforehand or while you plan your CSV. If the Asset Types for the new assets have custom fields, then the Asset Import process makes sure to export/download all the necessary fields and the custom fields in the CSV. So, when custom fields are involved it's appropriate that you create assets using one CSV per Asset Type. However, in the absence of the custom fields only the mandatory fields that are discussed here will be relevant if the assets to be create belong to different Asset Types.
How to obtain the CSV used for Asset Import
The CSV is available for export/download from within the Import Manager wizard.
You can launch the Import Manager wizard from the Settings area and the Assets Workspace in Loc8, as shown below:
- Option 1: The Settings area -> Import Manager
- Option 2: The Assets Workspace -> More Options button on the main screen
Navigating through the Asset Import wizard
Once the Asset Import wizard is launched, you will begin the import process by clicking the + New button.
Under the Prepare step, you will find the options to Export (to download a CSV template on your machine) and Import (to upload the filled in CSV that will be executed by the Loc8 system to create assets).
Click Export. From the next screen, you may choose any of the available Asset Types to get started with the CSV, unless you are creating assets of a specific Asset Type only (i.e. for assets in a parent child hierarchy, where custom fields are also involved).
INFO: The Asset Types are displayed in a hierarchical order - from the parent asset type to the child asset type. When you select a parent asset type you will obtain a CSV that's also valid for all its child asset types, including the custom fields that is inherited from the parent asset type to the child asset type by default. But, for a child asset type that has its own set of custom fields, you will have to export/download a separate CSV to build on data that is specific to the child asset.
The tailored CSV is ready to download. Save it on your local machine.
Simplifying the CSV
As discussed in the previous sections, to create an asset you will need only the Asset ID of the parent asset and Asset Types/Class Name for both the parent asset and the new asset to be created.
Any columns that are not relevant to the asset creation scenario can be deleted those columns and retaining only the relevant ones for a clean and simplified CSV.
The example below shows how the two assets belonging to different Asset Types are filled out in a CSV for an import to create assets.
Here, an asset called 'White Cable' of Asset Type 'Plumbing' needs to be created at Site 'SIT-0000006'. The additional details we want to enter for this scenario at this stage is its Serial Number and Asset Status. Similarly, another new asset called 'H Type UVC' must be associated with asset AST-0000013. Here, the parent-child relationship between the two asset types has already been defined under Settings -> Asset Type.
TIP: You can easily copy and paste Asset IDs or Asset Types from the Asset Workspace in Loc8, rather than typing them in. To do so , expand the Asset Inspector to full view and copy the Asset ID. It will be displayed as Asset > SIT-0000006 on the top left side of the inspector. Next, switch to the CSV. Right-click on the cell to be updated and from the context menu select Paste Special to paste the Asset Id as an unformatted texts.
Save the CSV. The file is now ready to import.
Importing the filled-in CSV
Under the Prepare step in the Asset Import wizard, click Import to upload the CSV.
In the next few screens, the Asset Import wizard takes you through a preview of the changes you are attempting to make through this import process. It also allows you to make certain tweaks such as changing the date format, configurations on how data must be handled before the final Import.
On the Configure screen, you can view the association between the fields that accept value and the primary key field such as Existing: ID. In case of a successful import, the Import process marks the fields with the icons shown below:
Click through the next few screens till you reach the Import screen.
Click Import and wait for the system to show this success message.
Then, click Finish to close the wizard.
Now, when we go back to the Assets Workspace and look up the parents assets, you will find the new assets with their unique Asset ID.
For example, the new asset in the example discussed before is now available with the additional details provided in CSV:
This completes the important steps and information you'll need to bulk create new assets using the Asset Import process in Loc8.