In this article, you will see how to update the details of your existing assets in bulk using the Asset Importer in Loc8:
- Two ways of updating the existing assets in Loc8
- What you'll need before you begin updating assets
- How to obtain the CSV used for Asset Import
- Simplifying the CSV
- Importing the filled-in CSV
NOTE 1 : If you are looking for information on how to create new assets using the Asset Import, please see Create New Assets using Asset Import.
NOTE 2: The Asset Import and Customer Import are two separate processes that implement importing through different CSVs. These CSVs cannot be used interchangeably.
If you want to update or create new customers, please see Import Customers.
Two ways of updating the existing assets in Loc8
- Manually editing an asset in its Asset Inspector: The first approach is convenient when you have only one or a few assets to be updated. It may not be an ideal solution when you have to update large number of assets with different values against different fields.
- Importing a formatted CSV for bulk updates across multiple assets: The second approach is implemented when you want to update a large number of assets with speed and accuracy. The data provided in the CSV will indicate what values should be updated against which fields and for which assets. Once triggered, the Asset Import will run the update for all the assets in the CSV, in a span of few minutes or even seconds depending on the size of CSV.
NOTE: The Asset Import process is limited to Assets only. It does not allow you to update Sites.
To update Sites, please get in touch with the Loc8 Support Team.
What you will need before you begin updating assets
- (Mandatory) You must have the Asset IDs of the assets to be updated. This is identified as Existing:ID in the CSV. Being a unique identifier, it will eliminate the chances of any other asset getting accidentally updated by the current import.
- (Optional) You will need the Asset Type if you are updating a custom field. Since custom fields are associated with one or more Asset Types, the Asset Import process makes sure to export/download all the necessary fields, including the custom fields of an asset in the CSV. So, when custom fields are involved it's appropriate to update assets as per their Asset Type. However, in absence of the custom fields only the Asset ID will suffice even if the assets belong to different Asset Types.
How to obtain the CSV used for Asset Import
The CSV is available for export/download from within the Import Manager wizard.
You can launch the Import Manager wizard from the Settings area and the Assets Workspace in Loc8, as shown below:
- Option 1: The Settings area -> Import Manager
- Option 2: The Assets Workspace -> More Options button on the main screen
Navigating through the Asset Import wizard
Once the Asset Import wizard is launched, you will begin the import process by clicking the + New button.
Under the Prepare step, you will find the options to Export (to download a CSV template on your machine) and Import (to upload the filled in CSV that will be executed by the Loc8 system to make the necessary updates to the existing assets).
Click Export, and choose the Asset Type that represents the assets you are currently updating.
INFO: The Asset Types are displayed in a hierarchical order - from the parent asset type to the child asset type.
When you select a parent asset type you will obtain a CSV that's also valid for all its child asset types, including the custom fields that is inherited from the parent asset type to the child asset type by default.
But, for a child asset type that has its own set of custom fields, you will have to export/download a separate CSV to build on data that is specific to the child asset.
The tailored CSV is ready to download. Save it on your local machine.
Simplifying the CSV
As discussed in the previous sections, to update the existing asset you will need their Asset ID. Also, identify the columns that are not relevant to the current updating assets scenario. You can delete them for a clean and simplified CSV.
An example shows how to update any two assets belonging to different asset types.
Initially, AST-0000024 has no location specified. But a recent installation of a new model takes place at a location described by the coordinates for which AST-0000024, now needs an update to its Location and Replacement Value fields. The other asset AST-0000023 was recently inspected for weather damage, for which a replacement value has been evaluated. This requires AST-0000023 to be updated with its Replacement Value field.
The new values for the assets have been entered in the CSV shown below:
AST-0000024 and AST-0000023 are from different asset types but since there are no custom fields involved, they can use the same CSV for the update.
TIP: You can easily copy and paste Asset IDs as unformatted texts, rather than typing them in. To do so , expand the Asset Inspector to full view and copy the Asset Id. It will be displayed as Asset > AST-0000024, on top left side of the inspector.
Next, switch to the CSV. Right-click on the cell to be updated and from the context menu select Paste Special to paste the Asset Id as an unformatted texts.
Save the CSV. The file is now ready to import.
Importing the filled-in CSV
Under the Prepare step in the Asset Import wizard, click Import to upload the CSV.
In the next few screens, the Asset Import wizard takes you through a preview of the changes you are attempting to make through this import process. It also allows you to make certain tweaks such as changing the date format, configurations on how data must be handled before the final Import.
On the Configure screen, you can view the association between the fields that accept value and the primary key field such as Existing: ID. In case of a successful import, the Import process marks the fields with the icons shown below:
Click through the next few screens till you reach the Import screen.
Click Import and wait for the system to show this success message.
Then, click Finish to close the wizard.
Now, when we go back to the Assets Workspace and look up the assets that were updated as a result of a successful import, we instantly see the changes in their corresponding fields.
For example, see the updated sample assets discussed before:
This completes the important steps and information you'll need to bulk update existing assets using the Asset Import process in Loc8.